A nourishing diet is a crucial part of the fight against cancer, so take a look at 5 cancer beating foods and see if you can incorporate them into your daily diet.
1. Oily Fish has been linked to reduced levels of prostate and breast cancer.
2. The lycopene nutrient present in cooked tomatoes has been shown to slow the rate of growth of prostate cancer cells and even kill them. Tomatoes are also rich in vitamins C, E and A- all powerful antioxidants with cancer fighting properties.
3. Pulses, wholemeal bread and rice are all fibre rich foods which are said to have a positive effect on breast and bowel cancers. Fibre eliminates excess oestrogen in the body which is linked to breast cancer. Studies also suggest that for every 10g of fibre eaten per day, the risk of colon cancer falls by 10%.
4. Sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds are both high in vitamin E, which boots your immune system’s fighting abilities. The target is 300- 600 mgs a day, however, this may be a little hard to achieve without supplements.
5. Garlic contains numerous active ingredients such as selenium, tryptophan and sulphur which can all help in the fight against cancer. It also has strong anti-bacterial properties and the potential to block the formation of cancer causing substances.