On 20 November 2015, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) changed their advice regarding Mali following a terrorist attack on the Radisson Hotel in Bamako.
For the most up to date travel advice, please visit the FCO: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mali
ALLCLEAR GOLD AND ALLCLEAR GOLD PLUS: If you are an AllClear Gold or AllClear Gold Plus policyholder the following guidelines apply:
If you’re currently in Bamako, Mali: Please contact your holiday company as soon as possible as they should be able to help make arrangements for you to return home.
If you have booked a holiday to Bamako, Mali: If your holiday is coming up soon, please contact your holiday company as soon as you can as they should be able to either rearrange your holiday for another time or offer you a full refund. If you have an AllClear Gold or AllClear Gold Plus travel insurance policy, we can change this to cover your new holiday providing the new trip is within three months of your original departure date, is for the same duration (or no longer) and is to the same geographical area. If your trip is cancelled and you are being fully refunded by your Holiday Company and so have no claim to make under this insurance, we will also consider the cancellation and refund of your existing policy. Please note that this will only apply to Single Trip policies for specific trips covering the dates concerned.
We have also updated the advice regarding what cover we can offer if you’re currently in Mali below.
- Medical expenses – Any medical claims arising as a result of any attacks are fully covered under the policy terms and conditions.
- Repatriation – Both holiday companies and the British government are looking to repatriate those in Mali. If, for any reason, you’re unable to be repatriated by either of these then we will provide cover for this in line with your medical needs.
- Cutting short your trip – If you have chosen to end your holiday and no refund is available from your holiday company, then we will refund up to £1,000 per person for the cost of your lost holiday upon receipt of clarification from your holiday company as to why they will not reimburse this to you. This is extra cover that is not detailed in the policy terms and conditions, therefore the limits set out in the policy booklet do not apply in this case. If you are currently in Mali and have made independent arrangements (i.e. do not have a holiday company that can assist you with extended accommodation (room only) costs that you need to incur after your planned return date), we will allow claims to be submitted under this section, within the £1,000.00 limit provided, to assist you with these costs that you cannot get back from any other source.
- Cancellation – If you’re cancelling a holiday to Bamako, Mali, in the first instance, you should speak to your holiday company as most are offering a full refund/change of destination. However, if you find that these are not available to you, we will look at these on a case-by-case basis and will, again, be subject to clarification from your holiday company being provided as to the reason why this will not be refunded.
- Travel delay – If you have travel delay cover this will be covered for delays over 12 hours, in line with the benefit on the policy (please note that if you are in Bamako, Mali, you can claim additional room only hotel costs or travel delay, but not both).
- Baggage claims – Any baggage claim associated with this incident will be considered. If any delay or loss occurs if the government arrange for its return, claims should initially be submitted to that government Authority before being submitted to us for consideration.
Cover under your policy will automatically extend if you are unable to return home as planned.
Please note that our advice remains valid until further notice.
FCO Advice: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/mali
- BRITISH EMBASSY:
- Address: Bureau De Liaison de l’Ambassade de Grande Bretagne. Enceinte de l’Ambassade du Canada. Route de Koulikoro. Hippodrome. BP 2069. Bamako. MALI
Phone:+223 44 97 69 13
Please note: If you have a policy with the providers below, information will be updated in due course
OK To Travel